Saturday, June 21, 2008

21 Grams

Tomorrow I will be turning 21. In the past while, I've realised that there are an awful lot of things that I would like to do, and while some of them are a little crazy, a lot of them are really ordinary, and most of them will be things that I have never done before (i.e. firsts). As such, I am setting myself a challenge - in the next year, I will do all 20 things on the list which I am entitling "Twenty Firsts".
As such, the twenty firsts are:
  1. learn to ride a bicycle
  2. make creme brulee from scratch
  3. watch the entire "Star Wars" movie series
  4. go on a roller-coaster and other amusement park rides (particularly those that involve heights!)
  5. go for drinks at the Bowls Club (lame, I know, but I've never done it!)
  6. go to the Johannesburg Art Gallery
  7. go for ballroom dancing lessons
  8. host a dinner party
  9. buy a digital camera
  10. overcome my fear of snakes (*shut up, Freud!*)
  11. go rock climbing
  12. read the last "Harry Potter" book
  13. watch the entire "O.C." series
  14. learn to do a shoulder balance or head stand in yoga
  15. go horse-riding
  16. attend an event where I can actually wear my little black dress
  17. learn how to apply eyeliner (there are emo-boys out there who put me to shame!)
  18. go camping (okay, I've done this before, but not in the last 8 years)
  19. get my passport
  20. paint a landscape

So, that is the list. I will probably post updates about my successes and misadventures as the year progresses. And, if you're interested in joining me on any of the escapades (or you're willing to teach me how to ride a bike!), let me know, because the company (and a cheer-leading squad) is always welcome!

6 comments:

Helen said...

Yay! That's an awesome list! I'm keen to help you with it becasue most of the things sound like a lot of fun! What shall we tackle first?

Oh,and I can't help with the eyeliner issue, I can't even put it on other people without them looking like they were attacked by a blind goth clown...

But I can camp! and ride a bike! and other stuff...

Luke said...

What kind of girl are you?! Not being able to ride a bike is one thing, but not being able to put on eye-liner?! That's crazy talk right there, that is!

Candice said...

Thanks for the support Helen! I'm not quite sure where to start, but I'll update you as I go along.

And yes, I really can't apply eye-liner. I am a failure to woman-kind! :-(

Helen said...

The worst is that liquid eyeliner stuff that you're supposed to paint on... they said it would make life easier, but what they DIDN'T mention is that once it's on, it stays on. So 'removing' the mistakes leaves you looking like a racoon...

Candice said...

No! The liquid stuff was my only hope!

Damn... I'm going to have to ask BA Fine Arts guys (or maybe even B.Com girls) how to do this eyeliner thing!

Julie said...

I realise this post is not recent... But I'd also be very willing to join you on your mission to do some of these rather exciting sounding things... It could also give us an excuse to get together again sometime ;)