Saturday, May 16, 2009

Back to the Future

One of the reasons why I love music so much is because of the emotions it is capable of evoking in me and the memories that I associate with certain songs. I’m sure everyone does this – you’ll hear a song on the radio and immediately be transported back to a summer holiday or a road trip or even memories of a particular person. That’s what Bryan Adam’s “Summer of ’69” is all about!

Sometimes these musical associations are good – and sometimes, they cause problems. I have entire albums of music that have become associated with ex boyfriends and that I couldn’t listen to for a really long time because I just got too depressed about things when I played them. Fortunately, I’ve got over most of these associations, and it’s actually become refreshing to listen to the music and realise how far I’ve come and how much my life has changed – mostly for the better. This really struck me a few weeks ago, just before Coke Fest. I was driving to a friend’s house and listening to the radio, and because Oasis were one of the bands due to be performing at the concert (I say “due” because the bands that Coke Fest advertises and those that actually show up have proven to be quite dissimilar), 5FM seemed to have decided that perhaps they should actually play some of the band’s music a little more often than they normally do. I turned the volume up, because I generally like Oasis, and was pleasantly surprised to hear “Don’t Look Back in Anger”. I love this song, but I have some weird memories associated with it. I remember buying an album of unplugged songs for my cousin in 2002, and spent the December holiday listening to the CD, which featured a live version of the song. I couple of months later, the guy I was dating at the time broke up with me. It was one of those horrible moments, where I was relatively certain that my life was over, that I would never be happy again and that I would die alone (I was 15, which is probably why it was so dramatic). Anyway, as I was walking him to the front door, somewhere at the back of my mind, the line “don’t look back in anger” from the song floated into my consciousness. Ever since, I have always associated that song with that day – and with the idea of just accepting things, letting them go and getting on with my life. I did really struggle to get over the guy and it took a good couple of years. Hearing that song on the radio just made me realise how far I had come. What’s even better though is that I can now turn the volume up, smile and sing along!

"Slip inside the eye of your mind
Don't you know you might find a better place to play
You said that you'd never been
But all the things that you've seen will slowly fade away

So I start a revolution from my bed
'Cause you said the brains I had went to my head
Step outside the summertime's in bloom
Stand up beside the fireplace
Take that look from off your face
You ain't ever gonna burn my heart out
So Sally can wait, she knows it's too late as we're walking on by
Her soul slides away, but don't look back in anger I heard you say

Take me to the place where you go
Where nobody knows, if it's night or day.
Please don't put your life in the hands
Of a rock 'n roll band who'll throw it all away

I'm gonna start the revolution from my bed
'Cause you said the brains I had went to my head
Step outside 'cos summertime's in bloom
Stand up beside the fireplace
Take that look from off your face
'Cos you ain't ever gonna burn my heart out
So Sally can wait, she knows it's too late as she's walking on by.
My soul slides away, but don't look back in anger I heard you say
So Sally can wait, she knows it's too late as we're walking on by
Her soul slides away, but don't look back in anger I heard you say
And So Sally can wait, she knows it's too late and she's walking on by
My soul slides away, but don't look back in anger, don't look back in anger I heard you say
At least not today."

1 comment:

Helen said...

I know what you mean! I have a bad habit of finding a song and putting it on repeat and then ruining it for the rest of my life... I have flashbacks to lziard-trapping when I hear certain songs, also propoal writing, bad personal situations, just plain having a bad day.

I always loved the Oasis song "half the world away"