Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Notebook

I suppose that, as this is my first blog entry, it might be a good idea to explain why I've decided to start blogging in the first place. It has not been motivated by some of the more common reasons for blogging, such as using it as a way to meet other people (since I have recently discovered that I know pretty much everyone, due to what I have renamed "1.2 degrees of separation) or to rant about Eskom and taxis (which seem to be very common topics in blog ranting) or to express my worldly opinions on life, the universe and chocolate cake.

No, the existence of my blog has been motivated by far more subtle reasons:
  1. Luke told me that I should start a blog. I think that this is partly because Luke has a blog and wishes to share the joyous experience of blogging with me, or because he's tired of me wandering into his office and telling him random stories about helping to deliver puppies at work. I find myself unable to disagree with Luke, and thus the blogging has begun.
  2. I have recently remembered that I do actually enjoy what the Wits English Department refer to as "Creative Writing", and that I am rather good at it, as my matric English marks and English Olympiad results prove. I had completely forgotten about this until a conversation with Joe reminded me that I had won "stuff" for my creative writing and I realized that maybe I wasn't so bad at it after all...
  3. I have promised myself that I will write a book. This has always seemed very scary to me, and yet something which I have always wanted to do. So, perhaps blogging will help me along my journey to become the next Dan Brown/Virginia Woolf/JK Rowling (genre seems to be a bit of a problem when it comes to writing "the book").
  4. Occasionally, random amazing things happen to me, and I think that they are cool enough to be shared with whoever happens to be trawling the Internet at 02:43 in the morning.

And that is why I have started a blog!

No comments: