Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Hannah Montana: The Movie

Yes, I should probably be studying! I have spent the morning printing out journal article analyses to assist my studying though, which should count for something! I'm planning on making significant progress on research design tonight - just as soon as I write this post and have a cup of tea!

I was chatting to my friend Paul on the phone last night, and he somehow mentioned Hannah Montana in the conversation (please note that this is not something that usually happens! Our conversations usually involve art, pets, parties and a fair amount of giggling, and he was merely using Hannah Montana to illustrate a point). This got me thinking though, and has brought me to the following conclusion: I have a Hannah Montana phobia. There is just something SO creepy about her (and Miley Cyrus). There's no denying that she can sing quite well, but there is just something weird about the whole thing. Maybe it's because of her dad, or maybe it's the alter-ego Miley/Montana thing. Maybe it's that I'm not quite sure that anyone would care that she existed or give her a second glance if she wasn't pretty and the daughter of the man who brought us "Achy Breaky Heart", which I'm not sure is a legitimate claim to fame!

In fact, I think I'm disturbed by all so-called "child stars". From the Jonas Brothers to the KTV presenters, they all give me the creeps! Even Dakota Fanning scares me! Maybe it's just a symptom of being *old* (or older) and no longer being awed by how cool or pretty or handsome any of them are, but I really can't stand watching anything that any of them appear in. I suspect that they hype around child stars has grown exponentially since I watched Macaulay Culkin in "Home Alone" when I was 8, and now the world is filled with more Olsen twins than it knows what to do with! Maybe it has something to do with the level of fame which is now accorded to these kids, which makes them seem even more like adults and allows them to act like adults, even though they don't have a driver's licence (although if they do, it'll soon be suspended for a DUI) and aren’t legally old enough to manage their own finances for the millions of dollars that they're making. And then the celebrity magazines are amazed and confused when they end up being arrested or are found doing drugs.

Actually, I have no real idea why child stars scare me. This is all just speculation. But, I’m still giving Hannah Montana a wide berth, on principle.


Utterly terrifying: Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana

No comments: