Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Little Miss Sunshine

The title of this post is more than a little tongue-in-cheek. There is no sunshine at the moment – and not just because it’s 7pm. The last few days in Jo’burg have been uncharacteristically weird, in terms of weather. The 13 degrees Celsius is fairly normal for this time of year, but the rain and cloud cover has been rather strange! I don’t really mind winter and the cold (provided I’ve remembered to wear a scarf and an extra jacket), but I do mind the combination of wind, rain and freezing cold. It’s the one thing that stops me from moving to Cape Town – in fact, it’s the thing that dissuades me from visiting Cape Town in winter as well!

Since the weather hasn’t been great, all that I’ve wanted to do is lie in bed with a good book. Unfortunately, this hasn’t really been a possibility, due to exams. I am determined to not let the weather (or exam situation) get me down though, and so I have written a list of 10 great, sun-shiny things about my life at the moment.

1. I have 1 exam left! As of 12:00 on Friday, stats is over for the year!
2. My birthday party is on the 16th of June, and I’m really looking forward to it. It’s a picnic/tea party at Zoo Lake, and I’ve invited loads of people, and everyone seems very enthusiastic. A couple of people who I haven’t seen in ages are coming along, and the bizarre combination of psych students, engineers, BA’s, law students and teachers should provide plenty of amusement (or at least an interesting social experiment). I don’t know what I’ll do if the rain continues though – maybe a picnic at Bowls Club is in order!
3. I still have half of season 1 and the whole of season 2 of “X Files” waiting to be watched! I am such a geek!
4. I have a really cool art house film, called “The City of Lost Children” to watch. And I really need to hire “Garden State” and watch it again.
5. I work at a vet, which is fantastic because my kitten, Darcy, is in the wars. He got attacked by a big, nasty, grumpy cat (it was twice as big as him), and then ended up having an allergic reaction to the painkiller or antibiotic he was given. Luckily, my boss doesn’t mind me showing up at work with him, repeatedly!
6. I have a new furry hot-water bottle. Her name is Bolero and she is a very large, very affectionate cat, who I adopted from my friend Claire, who moved to the UK. She keeps my feet warm at night (although occasionally she cuts off the circulation in my feet as well).
7. I’m having a double birthday party! Since Debbie is still in Cape Town when the picnic is happening, we’re doing a second round of partying on the 22nd (which is great, since I’m turning 22 on the 22nd!)
8. I think I know what’s going on in stats (which is good, considering the exam is in 2 days)!
9. My ankle seems to finally be stable enough for me to start jogging again. Now, if it would just stop raining!
10. I went to an art gallery on Friday, with my friends Paul and Jeff. We were very badly behaved. One of the best comments on one of the pieces at the gallery came from Jeff:
“I like this picture. It’s warm and cosy, and everyone looks happy. Oh, hang on. It’s a strip club”.
*cue childish laughter from Paul and I*

No comments: