Monday, September 13, 2010

Busyness and a quick blog post

Hello world. Yes, I am still here! I've just been swamped with work, sick, marking, applying for jobs, driving 86km for job interviews and making white chocolate cheesecake. It's been an interesting 6 weeks, to say the least.
I will hopefully get around to filling in more details about what's been going on lately, but in the meantime, here's a quick summary:
  • research... and lots of it. I'm doing a course called "Research in Context" which basically aims to give us, as Masters students, real-world research experience without too much scariness (or remuneration). So far, we've had to put together a Powerpoint and a proposal to meet the clients' brief and now we've got to do data collection. It's like doing a full-blown research project in 2 months. Panic and chaos have ensued. I now have to track down 6 people to interview and get another 50 to complete questionnaires.
  • other research... has taken a back seat. Drastically. We will not discuss how much work I have not done.
  • neuropsychology presentations. This actually went quite well. I had to put together a detailed presentation on epilepsy, and present to my class. It went really well and my lecturer has asked to borrow my presentation for her third years. Win!
  • running. Yes, I've finally started running again, as the ankle is MUCH better! The less said about today's session the better (nasty stitches and weird sinus attacks from all the dust), but I have to get fit, because I'm doing a 5 day hike in November.
  • MA interviews. These went relatively well. I got through both M.Clinical and M.Community and Counselling Psychology. There is 1 small snag - I got waiting-listed for both. Again. I think the department are playing silly buggers. Nonetheless, I'm hanging in there and hoping that someone drops out and that I get invited to be part of the class for 2011. Failing that, I'll apply again next year.
  • Job interviews. Since I didn't get into a Masters programme for next year, I've got to do my Research Internship. The prospect of earning money is quite nice, but the prospect of having to drive to Pretoria (100km round trip) or Lenasia (86km) everyday is a tad depressing. I'm now hoping to find something closer!
  • HOMSI and I are still doing well. It's been almost a year and we're going away for the long weekend in September. Yay!

I think that's about it! I hope to be a better blogger in the coming weeks...

1 comment:

Helen said...

you're alive!

We must have tea soon, when you're not being so busy