Monday, July 5, 2010

Of engineers, sleep-deprivation and sore ankles

This has been one of the stranger weekends that I've had in a while! I didn't do terribly much and it wasn't very exciting, but it's still flown by.
I didn't do anything on Friday night, as He of Many Sports Injuries was at work. 2 of the guys who usually work the night shift at his company were sick and so he's been working from 23:00 until 06:00, going home, sleeping for a couple of hours, going back to work at 11:00, going home at 18:00, getting some more sleep and then starting all over again at 23:00. Thankfully, this is all over now, and he's finally caught up on his sleep. Because I was worried about him having to drive all the way to my place and all the way back to his place (a 70km round-trip), sleep-deprived, on a Saturday night, I went to Al and Chantelle's engagement party by myself. It was a really lovely evening (even with everyone asking me where the plus-one was, to which I replied "At home, asleep.") and I got to catch up with all my old engineering friends, like Tom and Chris. Engineers are a strange breed (although I get along strangely well with them) and the girlfriends of Tom and Chris (Rachel and Katy) and I eventually ended up having a very intense discussion about our hair and styling products. It was obviously all that testosterone from the engineers which drove us to this point...
I left the party at about 23:00, mostly because I was exhausted. I ended up nearly being hit by some silly driver who clearly thought that stopping at red traffic lights is optional - never mind the fact that he was doing about 80km in a 60km/hour zone. I got into bed, read a bit and then tossed and turned for about 2 hours, unable to get to sleep. This meant that I was in the worst possible mood on Sunday. I was sleep-deprived, had no chance to have a nap, had to be sociable and I hadn't seen my boyfriend in ages (okay, it was 5 days, but it felt like more!). Luckily, I managed to pull myself together (with the help of a lot of caffeine) and made it through lunch with my mom and cousin. Seeing He of Many Sports Injuries definitely helped as well - we had supper and watched TV and spent most of the evening being nauseating and telling each other how much we had missed each other (you'd never know it had only been 5 days!).
I'm feeling a lot better today after a solid 8 hours of sleep. I also suspect that my less than delightful mood had a lot to do with my ankle having been very sore this last week, which has meant that I haven't been running and so my endorphin levels have dropped, leaving me grumpy and shouting at spoons (it's a long story). I hope to start running this week - we'll see what the biokineticist has to say this morning.
How was your weekend? Happy Monday!!

1 comment:

Leia said...

In short: my weekend was unproductive!!!